Shopping and walking… Ahhh the things I love and hate these days, but overall I am excited to do this as this is a first time experience for me! Before whenever I pass by the Baby Company in SM stores I’ve always have that “I don’t belong here” feeling, but now its always my “check out what’s new here” hobby whenever I’m in the area hahaha😊
After browsing different sites and blogs of other Moms, I’ve streamlined and come up with my own shopping list. (I’ll be editing the list from time to time depending on how useful or not the items are). The entry serves as my hospital bag checklist too. So it you find the list kind of mixed up I’m sorry but as mentioned this serves a dual purpose for me.
*** August 31, 2016 – I have updated this post as I am now done with our baby shopping!
STUFF FOR SEB
- Diaper newborn size – I prefer Huggies dry comfort. I bought a 40 piece pack as they said that babies poo a lot on their first month! Guess I’ll be needing more. But I also plan to use a cloth diaper which can be washed and reuse several times and environment friendly too. Huggies dry is a good choice from the start. Seb didn’t have any allergies or reaction whatsoever. We tried Pampers and EQ just to explore our options but we’re happy with huggies dry and keeping it. Once we tried huggies ultra and though it was quite expensive compare to huggies dry, it was worth it! But to be practical and to save we’re sticking with huggies dry. —At 3 months our baby is now using their Large size.😱
- Mittens (Tie and Garterize) – I want to observe which one works best so I bought both to test which one fits longer and is not easy to remove. The tie mittens are better. But really, tie or garter mittens are quite annoying as they keep falling off and are hard to locate since they are small. But moms need them because newborn nails are long and sharp. Ouch! — As soon as Seb reaches his 1st month we cut his fingernails and since then we never use mittens anymore which is good because he gets to explore his hands now… by licking them😊
- Tie sides top / sando – for the clothes I bought newborn and up to 6 months sizes, as I was under the impression that babies gets big in a short span of time so I do not want to invest much in newborn sizes. They really grow fast or my baby is just fat hahaha! At 6 weeks his newborn size clothes and diaper are too snug for him already, so we’re leveling up to small.
- Socks / Booties – same comment as that with mittens.
- Bonnet – the hush hush brand in SM company has the best fit so far.
- Baby wash – Cetaphil and Human Nature – I vote for Cetaphil especially for his Milia(s). — I looove Pigeon’s baby wash❤️
- Baby shampoo — I looove Pigeon’s shampoo too❤️
- Baby bath towel
- Cotton and baby wipes (unscented) – for me huggies wipes are good but pigeon wipes are great! We’re still testing other brands though…
- Container with cap (for cotton)
- Receiving blankets
- Nappy cream – Human Nature (for rashes)
- Baby powder – I didn’t buy one as I read that it irritates the baby’s skin and seep into the folds of their skin resulting to allergies.
- Lampin – You need this!
- Burp clothes – You need this!
- Swaddling blanket
- Vicks baby vaporub – I bought the pink one which is a new product especially for babies 3 months and up.
- Net for mosquitos
- Baby carrier – We’re buying one as my baby is heavy!
- Stroller – I’m eyeing Graco Mirage Zigzag – I am torn between this and the Chicco Liteway because of its umbrella fold feature. Both are just the same price of Php 8,000. Hmmm, still a pickle… – Still has not buy one but really settled and focused on Chicco Liteway 2.
- Crib with complete set of mattress, comforter and pillows (I am not yet sure whether to buy a wooden crib or play pen) – I think I am now set in buying a wooden crib as they say that it helps the baby to learn how to stand faster. We’ll shop for a stroller and crib on the same day sometime this month 🙂 exciting! – Bought a playpen and it was the best decision ever! For its portability mostly.
- Mosquito patch – We have plenty of these.
- Nail cutter
- Hair brush
- Changing mat waterproof
- Complete bottle set (I’m deciding between Avent or Pigeon with Peristaltic and wide neck) – I bought a 240 ml (good for 3 months +) 2 pcs peristaltic bottles and 2 pcs 1 month wide neck nipples. But I plan to exclusively breastfeed so the bottles are just a back-up. – Really useful as I bottle feed him with my breastmilk whenever I have an errand. The peristaltic nipple works as my baby did not experience nipple confusion.
- Manual breast pump – will buy soon. I am now using Pigeon portable battery operated pump and find it… weak. —Bought a Farlin manual breast pump and its very useful and easy to clean and assemble.
- Cycles Laundry detergent – I bought the powder kind.
STUFF FOR MOM
- Disposable under pads
- Nursing cover
- Nursing pillow
- Disposable underwear – I bought the XL size in Watsons. This is a must! Very useful.
- Goig home outfit – dress
- Bath towel
- Dress with front opening (for breastfeeding)
- Nursing bra
- Nursing pads / breast pad – I bought the Pigeon breast pads. This is important because during the first days of breastfeeding your nipple is sore and it hurts when in contact with clothes.
- Liquid handwash
- Lip balm
- Mints / candy
- Nipple cream
- Bra extender
- Maternity pads and adult diaper – You will bleed a lot more than that of a period so stack up on these.
- Binder – This will be a splurge as I want the Wink Ultimate Postpartum Ultra Bikini worth Php 4,320 (check their website here!)
- Betadine feminine wash – The doctor prescribed me with GynePro.
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Body wash / Soap
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Comb and Hair tie
STUFF FOR DAD
- Change of clothes
- Pillow and blanket
- Phone / camera and charger
Sorry for the low quality of photos 😦 Anyway, here’s a peak of our baby shopping.
Additional notes and reminder:
- Pack your own food and drinks for convenience
- Use ziplocks to pack and label everything
- Advisable three bags in total, one bag each for baby, mom and dad
- Keep underpads ready in your car
- Wash baby clothes using baby laundry detergent (cycles)
Thoughts: I am excited to buy the Human Nature baby products as I’ve read several good reviews about the brand but I’m also planning to use Cetaphil because it is highly recommended by doctors. Anyway, It all depends on the baby’s skin reaction. As for the feeding bottles, this will just be for stand by as I am planning to exclusively breastfeed our son. As for the binder, well with the price it really is a splurge I hope it can do wonders to bring back my pre-pregnancy body.
So there goes my shopping and hospital bag checklist. I hope this is enough preparation so I’ll be ready comes delivery day. I may be ready materially but what’s really worrying me is the labor pain that’s about to come. I’ve been reading everything about childbirth and labor and knowing my turn is just around the corner… (heavy clouds above my head) but then just like any other storm, a very bright rainbow and Mr. Sun is always there in the end. This time it has a name – Sebastian Castaneda Hamoy 🙂
31 weeks tomorrow! Lord please grant me a normal labor and healthy baby boy… – I got both and more ❤️❤️❤️